Below are some fun Nail Facts and Tips that may help you grow strong and healthy nails.
Tips to Grow Healthy Nails
- Have a well balanced diet (see Foods that are good for nails below).
- It is very important to keep your nails clean by washing them regularly and thoroughly, especially after outdoor activities.
- Wear gloves when gardening or washing dishes to protect your nails from bacteria, sunlight and detergents.
- File your nails instead of using nail clippers. It is less damaging and prevents the nails from splitting (See Manicure Filing or Pedicure Filing).
- Massaging the matrix area will help bringing nutrients and oxygen which are vitally important for the nail growth (see Hand Massage or Foot Masage).
- Remove nail polish gently as rubbing with pressure will cause damage to the matrix (see Nail Polish Removal).
- Apply hand cream each time after washing your hands.
Foods that are especially good for nails
- Eggs – Contains all essential amino acids and is a source of many vitamins and minerals (Vitamin A, D & E)
- Chicken Wings – Contains collagen which is good for Healthy Nails & skin
- Soy Bean Products – Contains essential amino acids and minerals (calcium, protein, potassium & magnesium).
- Vitamin A – Essential for healthy skin and nail growth. (Carrots & Sweet Potatoes)
- Vitamin C – Encourages collagen production. Also has an anti-oxidant effect which helps slow down the ageing process. (Kiwi, broccoli & Berries)
- Vitamin D – Helps strengthening the entire body structure. (Seafoods & Tofu)
- Vitamin E – Helps growing Healthy Nails, hair and skin.
- Magnesium – Helps promote good nail and hair growth. (Seaweeds)
- Zinc – Helps body growth. (Oysters & Cooked lean beef)
- Iron – Helps bringing oxygen to the matrix. (Mussels & Oysters)
- It is important to drink plenty of water to keep the skin and nails hydrated. Ideally drink 2 Liters per day.